UPDATE: THE Spanish government has vowed to ban extreme violent fan groups from Spanish football following the death of a man.
After a meeting of the Anti Violence Commission this morning (Monday December1) the president of the National Sports Council, Miguel Cardenal, revealed that an application has been made for the Spanish Parliament to discuss the issue of hooliganism.
It follows the death of a Deportivo la Coruña fan after clashes with Atletico Madrid hard-line violent fans, known in Spain as Ultras, at yesterday’s match.
There will also be a meeting between Spanish Football Association and La Liga representatives on Thursday
Cardenal said: “”We are determined to kick ultra groups out of football and its fringes. We are committed to doing so and are going to set a deadline to get rid of them. We will draw up a list of ultra groups and kick them out of football.”
One plan put forward is to close the stands where the Ultras congregate.
The 43-year-old victim, father of a 19-year-old daughter and four-year-old son was thrown in a river by Atletico fans.
The Deportivo supporter, known as Jimmy, was pulled from the water by firefighters who found he was suffering from head injuries and hypothermia. He died of a heart attack soon after, despite the attention of medical staff.
Also hurt were 11 others including a National Police officer. So far 24 people have been arrested, with 100 others under investigation. The violence flared in the streets along the Manzanares river which runs next to the Vicente Calderon stadium of champions Atletico.
Ultras were involved, including Frente Atletico and Riazor Blues from Deportivo, plus ultras from the Bukaneros and Alkor groups which follow Madrid sides Rayo Vallecano and Alcorcon.
Atletico president Enrique Cerezo said: “We cannot give more details because we don’t know them and they are under investigation.”
Spanish Minister for Culture, Education and Sport, Jose Ignacio Wert, has called a meeting with football’s anti-violence commission to discuss the situation.
He said: “The incidents we have seen are the type of things we never want to see in sport.”
The presidents of both sides addressed the media following the match to condemn the violence.
Cerezo said: “Neither Atletico Madrid nor Deportivo have anything to do with these radical groups that have their own histories and stories.”