FIREFIGHTERS in Elche have managed to make safe a chlorine gas leak in a residential area.
At least 10 officers from Elche’s Fire Department neutralised a gas leak from a tank on an urbanisation in the Carrús district of the city.
According to the town hall, eight people were evacuated from their homes as a precautionary measure, although no injuries or further damage has been reported.
The leak originated from a 100 litre tank of chlorine gas and was caused by the condition of advanced deterioration that the tank was in.
Working in anti-contamination suits, the firefighters managed to make the tank safe and by about 3pm, after several hours of work, the area was deemed safe enough for the residents to return to.