A Catholic church that began life as a mosque has been declared a part of Andalucia’s historic heritage by the regional government.
The 16th century Church of the Annunciation in Abla was one of 14 monuments or buildings to receive the designation.
Built between 1540 and 1559 on the site of a mosque by Francisco Lorenço, it was sacked during a Muslim rebellion a decade later.
Renovations and extensions over the years have resulted in the church having a baroque appearance.
The façade has a brick front, composed of a single arch supported by Tuscan pillars, an entablature with a frieze decorated with cherubs. There are also two small circular windows that illuminate the choir.