A TALK was given by Elaine Horton at the recent U3A Vall del Pop meeting.
Elaine spoke about Cancer and the need to support those diagnosed with the disease.
“Being told you have cancer is frightening and can be a life changing experience for you, your family and friends,” she said.
As local Director of MABS Elaine has responsibility for a wide area which covers just north of Benidorm up to Valencia and, together with many other volunteers, is kept extremely busy.
MABS provides advice and assistance for people suffering from all types of cancer and, from its early beginnings in 1999, now has branches from Valencia to Gibraltar and there is constant pressure to expand this even further.
Services MABS offers include:
• ‘Buddies’ who provide social contact, can pop in for a chat, take the dog for a walk or do some shopping
• ‘Supporters’, who are volunteers with personal experience of cancer who can provide emotional support Trained counsellors • Volunteer drivers to take people to hospital appointments
• Translators for various nationalities. Information leaflets can be obtained free of charge via our website or by contacting Elaine on 699152167.
MABS works hard to raise funds as the Charity receives no state funding and the services provided are expensive to provide.
Funds raised are spent on a variety of things, including:
• Drivers’ petrol expenses.
• Translators’ fees.
• Palliative care.
• Medical Equipment etc. Meanwhile, U3A are looking for base and lead guitarists, keyboard, vocalist and any other instrument to join a drummer and form a band that will play music to entertain U3A members.
Call Secretary Graham on 966481292 if interested.
U3A have organized a host of events over the year; see the website www.u3avalldelpop.com
By Carol Lockhart