Rivals United beat Sunderland 1-0, with an own-goal by ex-player Wes Brown; unbeaten Newcastle defeated Everton 2-1; Chelsea won 1-0 at Blackburn; Tottenham triumphed 3-1 at Fulham and Arsenal (with Robin van Persie’s 29th goal this year) clipped WBA 3-0.
At the basement, there were vital wins for Wolves (3-1 v Wigan) and
In last week’s Champions League,
Man United defeated Galiti 2-0, Arsenal and
* I’ll be covering Ronaldo’s career in the EWN next month.
Also in the Europa League, Rubin Kazan beat Spurs,
Spurs’ boss Harry Redknapp was not in
David Beckham, 36, wants to play for GB in next year’s Olympics, saying: “I still have a lot to offer.” And another ex- United star, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, has guided Molde to the Norwegian League title for the first time in the club’s 100-year history.
CONGRATULATIONS TO SIR
“It’s been a fairy tale. I never believed I’d be so successful” said the Scot. Under his control, United have played 1,410 games, (837 won, 326 drawn and 247 lost) while lifting 37 trophies.
“He’s the game’s greatest-ever manager” said Sir Bobby Charlton.
- The Pakistani cricketers, found guilty of spot-fixing, were given custodial sentences – Salman Butt two-and-a-half years, Mohammad Asif 12 months and Mohammad Amir six months detention. Their agent got 32 months… it should have been 32 years!
- World champion Casey Stoney shot past Ben Spies on the last bend to win the final MotoGP of 2011 in
. The late Marco Simoncelli’s Gresini team won the Moto2 race. Valencia
- Golfer Rory McIlroy is second in the World rankings after finishing fourth in the WGC Champions Tournament in
, won by Martin Kaymer. Shanghai
- Sir Chris Hoy took gold in the men’s sprint competition in the track cycling World Cup in
. Kazakhstan England’s Rugby League team must beat on Saturday to reach the Four Nations final. New Zealand
- Roger Federer won the Swiss Indoor Tennis tournament on home soil.
- Joe O’Brien, 18, the youngest jockey ever to win the £3m Breeder’s Cup, rode Sea Moon, trained by his father Aidan, to victory in
- And Paul Hannigan has defended his flat race jockey championship.
DID YOU KNOW?
BBC TV began 75 years ago, in November 1936, and the first ‘live’ football game was Arsenal v Arsenal reserves from Highbury!
And well done
FORMER World heavyweight boxing champion Joe Frazier has died at the age of 67. The only man to beat Muhammad Ali, doing so in 1971, he then lost his next two bouts with the ‘King of the Ring’ one of them in the ‘Thriller in Manilla’, which is regarded as the most gruelling fight ever.