Man sentenced for hijab death threat


A man has been sentenced for threatening to kill his cousin and her father for her refusal to wear a hijab. Munir Al-Hakim, 30, of London W12, yesterday, Tuesday 22 February, at Isleworth Crown Court, received a six month prison sentence – suspended for two years. He also received a 12 month restraining order and was ordered to complete 225 hours unpaid work.

On Monday 21 January, Al-Hakim was found guilty of threatening to kill his cousin for deciding not to wear a hijab


Detective Inspector Glyn Jones of Hammersmith and Fulham’s Community Safety Unit, said: “The Community Safety Unit dealt with the victim and her immediate family sensitively whilst fully supporting them throughout the investigation and court process. The victim was left in fear following the reaction of her cousin and by working together we have made it clear that this threatening behaviour is not acceptable.

“Other victims of honour based violence should feel reassured that they can report allegations to police who have specially trained officers to investigate these crimes, and can also provide access to other organisations who are dedicated to supporting the victims.”

The court heard that the victim decided in June 2010 that she no longer wished to wear a hijab, a decision her immediate family were fully supportive of. However the extended family of the victim made it clear that they did not find this acceptable and following a number of phone calls between them, the victim stated she would contact the police if she was not left alone.

Three days later the victim received a call from her cousin, Munir Al-Hakim asking to be put on loud speaker so that the family could hear what he was saying. He then stated that if the victim did not return to wearing the hijab by 19 June 2010 he would kill both the victim and her father.

The victim reported this to police. The defendant was arrested on 11 June 2010 and subsequently bailed pending further enquiries with strict conditions not to contact the victim and her immediate family.

He was later charged with the above offence on 2 July 2010 and bailed to attend West London Magistrates’ Court.

Source: Metropolitan Police Service press release


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here